Boost Mobile was founded on January 1, 2000, showing that its founder, Peter Adderton, had no fears about Y2K. This wireless carrier is a subsidiary of Sprint, one of the four major wireless carriers. Boost Mobile is just one example of an “MVNO,” or mobile virtual network operator.
Boost Mobile was first introduced in the United States in 2001, when the company started a joint venture with Nextel. A few years down the road, Sprint acquired Nextel, which has been the parent company of Boost Mobile ever since.
Today, Boost Mobile still provides 4G LTE coverage through Sprint’s wireless network. Boost Mobile provides coverage across the United States to more than 5 million customers.
Boost Mobile also gives you the option to bring your own phone, as long as that phone is unlocked on Sprint’s network. This program includes most model iPhones, Samsung Galaxies, and other popular smartphones.
Fun Facts About Boost Mobile
- Boost Mobile has aired commercials with many well-known celebrities including rapper Kanye West, NASCAR driver Danica Patrick, and former NBA star Rip Hamilton.
- You can bring your own phone when you sign up for a Boost Mobile cell phone plan!
- With Boost Mobile’s Unlimited Plus Plan, your data speeds are only ever throttled during times of network congestion.
- Boost Mobile customers can sign up for Premium Caller ID, which helps customers detect spam calls.
- Boost Mobile also offers Wi-Fi hotspot plans.