My iPhone 7 Won't Turn On! Here's The Real Reason Why & Fix.
You're staring at a black screen because your iPhone 7 isn't turning on. The problem may be a minor software bug, or a complicated hardware issue. In this article, I'll help you diagnose why your iPhone 7 won't turn on and show you how to fix the problem for good.
How Could The Software On My iPhone 7 Be Preventing It From Turning On?
When your iPhone 7 won't turn on, it may be experiencing a software crash, which causes the screen of your iPhone 7 to turn black and become unresponsive. If that's the case, then the problem isn't that your iPhone 7 isn't turning on — it's that your iPhone 7 has been on the whole time!
When your iPhone 7 is on but not responsive, it looks almost identical to an iPhone 7 that is turned off. Our step-by-step guide will help you diagnose and fix what's really causing the problem with your iPhone 7.
Before we dive into the guide, we should make sure the problem isn't just the display of your iPhone 7. Begin by plugging your iPhone into your computer using your charging cable (also known as the Lightning cable). If your iPhone 7 is recognized in iTunes, we recommend that you back up your iPhone up immediately.
If you were able to connect your iPhone 7 to iTunes and back it up, or if you can hear your iPhone 7 making any noises, you might need to get your displayed repaired. However, we can't be certain of that yet, so make sure to complete every step in our troubleshooting guide below!
How To Fix An iPhone 7 That Won't Turn On5 Steps Total
Hard Reset Your iPhone
A hard reset is usually a temporary solution to a software problem. It doesn't change anything at all — it just forces your iPhone to start from scratch, and often times the problem comes back.
How Do I Hard Reset My iPhone?
- Press and hold the power button and the volume down button together until the screen goes blank and the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- When the Apple logo reappears, let go of both buttons.
- When your iPhone turns back on, the hard reset is complete.
Hard Reset On iPhone X or Newer
Hard reseting an iPhone X is slightly different than other models of the iPhone.
- Quickly press the volume up button.
- Quickly press the volume down button.
- Press and hold down the Side button.
- Release the Side button when the Apple logo appears on the center of the screen.
Inspect Your iPhone Charger
There are many different ways to charge your iPhone — plugging it into your laptop, wall adapter, car charger, and more. As a precautionary measure, the software of your iPhone will prevent charging if it detects fluctuations from the power source.
How Do I Inspect My iPhone Charger?
- Charge your iPhone with multiple different power sources. If you normally use your wall charger, try using a USB port on your laptop, and vice versa.
- If your iPhone charges with one power source but not the other, then you know that the charger is causing your problem.
Hard Reset While Plugged Into Computer
Hard reseting an iPhone while it's plugged into a power source can sometimes fix problems that prevent iPhones from turn on properly.
How Do I Hard Reset While Plugged Into Computer?
- Using a Lightning cable (charging cable), plug your iPhone into a power source such as your computer or wall charger.
- Begin the hard reset by pressing and holding the power button and the volume down button until the screen of your iPhone goes blank and the Apple logo appears on the center of the screen (you may have to press and hold the buttons for up to 20 seconds!)
- When the Apple logo appears on the screen of your iPhone, let go of both buttons at the same time.
- When your iPhone turns back on, the hard reset is complete.
Repair Your iPhone With Puls
Puls is a "we come to you" iPhone repair service that will meet you at your home, office, or Starbucks to repair your iPhone in as little as 30 minutes. Every Puls repair is backed by a lifetime warranty and their prices tend to be a lot less than Apple's.
Puls repairs broken iPhone screens, batteries, speakers, cameras, charging ports, and more. The only drawback at this point is that Puls isn't available everywhere (they're mostly in major US cities).
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Puls?
- Visit Puls.com.
- Select iPhone.
- Select the model of your iPhone.
- Enter your ZIP Code.
- Select the color of your iPhone.
- Select the repair you need completed and fill out any additional information you want the technician to know.
- Schedule a repair time and date.
- Enter your address and personal information.
- Click the button that says "Submit Repair Request".
Repair Your iPhone With Apple
Apple repairs iPhones at the Genius Bar in Apple Stores and through their online mail-in repair service. Apple repairs are high-quality, but out-of-warranty repairs can be much more expensive than third-party solutions. If you're looking to save some money you're not covered by Apple's warranty, you may want to check out our other recommendations.
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Apple?
How To Repair Your iPhone With Apple's Mail-In Service
- Visit Apple's support website to begin the online mail-in repair process.
- Alternatively, call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) to set up a repair.
How To Repair Your iPhone At The Genius Bar Inside Your Local Apple Store
- Visit Apple's website to make a Genius Bar appointment before you go into the store. Apple Stores are extremely busy, and if you don't have an appointment, you may have to wait for hours or end up being turned away. (Editor's note: I'm a former Apple tech and we're not exaggerating — please, do yourself a favor and make an appointment first!)
- When you arrive, go to the Genius Bar to check in for your appointment.
- Genius Bar appointments always include free diagnosis. If you're under warranty, many repairs can be done on the spot, but it all depends upon which parts are in stock. If you're not under warranty, the Genius will give you a quote for the cost of a repair.
Your iPhone 7 Is Turning On!
Your iPhone 7 is turning on again and you're no longer staring at that empty, black screen. In the future, if your iPhone 7 won't turn on, you'll know exactly how to diagnose and fix the problem. Thanks for reading our article. Feel free to leave us a comment down below if you have any more questions about your iPhone 7, and if you liked our article, we'd really appreciate it if you'd share it with your friends on social media.