When you ask people what the most important factor is when choosing a wireless carrier, many answer with a single word: coverage. The best cell phone in the world won't work where there isn't any service. We made it our mission to create a free resource that would help people compare wireless carriers' coverage maps, so they can find a network that works where they live, work, and play.
AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile are the largest carriers in the United States, so we created a map that compares LTE, 3G, and voice coverage for each of them. But we didn't stop there.
We added every smaller carrier, too — but it wasn't that hard. Here's a secret that most people don't know:
All of the smaller carriers, from Boost Mobile to Spectrum Mobile, lease coverage from one or more of the four largest carrier networks. Even the “big four” share towers.
But for as much sharing as there is, cell phone coverage still varies greatly across networks. Sure, T-Mobile has a nationwide network, but they only allow customers to use a small amount of data while they're “roaming” on AT&T towers. With Verizon and AT&T, “roaming” isn't a factor at all.
Home, Home In The Range
If you live in a rural area, you might be forced to choose the only carrier that offers service there. Price might be more of a decision factor for city-slickers who live in areas where wireless coverage abounds.
Want to check the coverage in your own backyard? Type your address into the search box, and our map will tell you which carriers provide coverage in your neighborhood.
How To Use The UpPhone Coverage Map
- The first layer you select is the first layer that will appear on the map. Subsequent layers will be added on top, so it's easy to compare coverage.
- Select the boxes below the map to compare wireless carriers’ LTE, 3G, and Voice coverage.
- Looking for a different carrier? Use the More Carriers filter to compare dozens of MVNOs. Hint: MVNO stands for “Mobile Virtual Network Operator”. In other words, an MVNO uses one of the “big four” carriers' cellular networks.
- When you select a carrier from the More Carriers filter, the corresponding major carriers will be selected on the map.
- You can type your address into the Search box to discover which carriers are providing coverage in your county, town, neighborhood, or backyard.
- Don't forget to check your favorite vacation spot, too!