My iPhone 7 Plus Doesn't Vibrate! Here's How To Fix The Problem.
Your iPhone 7 Plus doesn't ring and you're starting to miss important calls or texts. This could be a simple software issue, or a problem with your iPhone's vibration motor. In this article, I'll help you diagnose the real reason why your iPhone 7 Plus is not vibrating and show you how to fix it for good.
First, Test Your iPhone's Vibration Motor
If your iPhone 7 Plus doesn't vibrate, you can test the vibration motor (which makes your iPhone vibrate) by flipping the Ring / Silent off and on. If "Vibrate on Ring" or "Vibrate on Silent" are turned on in the Settings app, your iPhone 7 Plus will vibrate when you flip the Ring / Silent switch back on forth.
Here's how it works:
- Your iPhone 7 Plus will vibrate when the Ring / Silent switch is pulled towards the display if "Vibrate on Ring" is turned on.
- Your iPhone 7 Plus will vibrate when the Ring / Silent switch is pulled away from the display if "Vibrate on Silent" is on.
- Your iPhone 7 won't vibrate at all if both are turned off in the Settings app.
How Do I Turn On "Vibrate on Ring" or "Vibrate on Silent" On My iPhone 7 Plus?
- Open up the Settings app.
- Tap Sounds & Haptics.
- Turn on the switches next to Vibrate on Ring and Vibrate on Silent. You'll know both settings are on when the switches are green and positioned to the right.
If you've adjusted these settings, but your iPhone 7 Plus still doesn't vibrate, there may be a hardware issue with the vibration motor. However, there are still two software troubleshooting steps we can try first.
Complete the first two steps in the guide below before exploring your repair options for an iPhone 7 Plus that is not vibrating!
How To Fix An iPhone 7 Plus That Doesn't Vibrate4 Steps Total
Reset All Settings
Many iPhone problems are caused when Settings isn't set up correctly or by corruption within individual Settings app files. Restoring the Settings app back to factory defaults doesn't fix every iPhone software problem, but it is a go-to fix for Apple technicians because it does solve a lot of problems that would be very difficult to to track down by hand.
How Do I Reset All Settings?
- Go to the Home screen.
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Use your finger to scroll down to Reset. It will be the last option in Settings -> General.
- Tap Reset All Settings.
- Enter your passcode.
- Tap Reset All Settings. You'll be prompted twice.
- A progress bar will appear on the screen.
- Your iPhone will automatically turn back on when the reset finishes.
DFU Restore Your iPhone
A DFU restore has the potential to fix software problems by completely erasing the code which may be causing your problem. The code is rewritten as if your iPhone is brand new, so the software problem may get solved.
Think of it like a house that has cracks in the foundation. Rather than try and fix the cracks, we are building an entirely new foundation.
If you can, back up your iPhone before completing a DFU restore. Any time you do a restore, it erases everything from your iPhone. However, after the restore is completed, you restore all your backed up data back onto your iPhone.
How Do I DFU Restore My iPhone?
Watch our DFU restore video walkthrough on YouTube, or follow the steps below:
- Using a Lightning cable, plug your iPhone into a USB port on your computer.
- Open iTunes. It doesn’t matter if your iPhone is on or off.
- On an iPhone 6s or older, press and hold the Home button and the power button. On an iPhone 7, press and hold the power and volume down button.
- After 8 seconds, release the Power Button, but continue to hold the power button (iPhone 6s or older) the volume down button (iPhone 7).
- Let go of the power button or volume down button when iTunes says “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.”
- Your iPhone’s display will be completely black if you’ve successfully entered DFU mode. If it’s not, try again from the beginning.
- Restore your iPhone using iTunes.
Repair Your iPhone With Puls
Puls is a "we come to you" iPhone repair service that will meet you at your home, office, or Starbucks to repair your iPhone in as little as 30 minutes. Every Puls repair is backed by a lifetime warranty and their prices tend to be a lot less than Apple's.
Puls repairs broken iPhone screens, batteries, speakers, cameras, charging ports, and more. The only drawback at this point is that Puls isn't available everywhere (they're mostly in major US cities).
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Puls?
- Visit Puls.com.
- Select iPhone.
- Select the model of your iPhone.
- Enter your ZIP Code.
- Select the color of your iPhone.
- Select the repair you need completed and fill out any additional information you want the technician to know.
- Schedule a repair time and date.
- Enter your address and personal information.
- Click the button that says "Submit Repair Request".
Repair Your iPhone With Apple
Apple repairs iPhones at the Genius Bar in Apple Stores and through their online mail-in repair service. Apple repairs are high-quality, but out-of-warranty repairs can be much more expensive than third-party solutions. If you're looking to save some money you're not covered by Apple's warranty, you may want to check out our other recommendations.
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Apple?
How To Repair Your iPhone With Apple's Mail-In Service
- Visit Apple's support website to begin the online mail-in repair process.
- Alternatively, call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) to set up a repair.
How To Repair Your iPhone At The Genius Bar Inside Your Local Apple Store
- Visit Apple's website to make a Genius Bar appointment before you go into the store. Apple Stores are extremely busy, and if you don't have an appointment, you may have to wait for hours or end up being turned away. (Editor's note: I'm a former Apple tech and we're not exaggerating — please, do yourself a favor and make an appointment first!)
- When you arrive, go to the Genius Bar to check in for your appointment.
- Genius Bar appointments always include free diagnosis. If you're under warranty, many repairs can be done on the spot, but it all depends upon which parts are in stock. If you're not under warranty, the Genius will give you a quote for the cost of a repair.
Bzzzt, bzzzt. Your iPhone 7 Plus Is Vibrating!
Your iPhone 7 Plus is vibrating again and you're no longer missing those important notifications. Now that you know why an iPhone 7 Plus doesn't vibrate, I hope you'll share this article on social media so your friends can learn too. Feel free to ask any other questions in the comments section below and, as always, thanks for reading!