In order to connect your AirPods to your iPad, your two devices need to be in range (around 25 feet or less) of each other. If your AirPods and iPad are too far apart, then they may not be able to connect via Bluetooth.
How Do I Make Sure My AirPods Are In Range Of My iPad?
- Go to the Home screen of your iPad.
- Double-press the Home button or swipe up from below the bottom of the screen to open Control Center.
- Press and hold the audio widget in Control Center.
- Tap the audio output button.
- If you don't see your AirPods listed in this menu, then they are out of range of your iPad.