A DFU restore is the deepest type of iPhone restore. All the code on your iPhone gets erased and reloaded to factory defaults. Since everything on your iPhone gets erased and reloaded, we strongly recommend backing up your iPhone before putting it in DFU mode.
Why Should I Put My iPhone In DFU Mode?
A DFU restore is the last troubleshooting step you can take to rule out a software problem on your iPhone.
How Do I Put My iPhone In DFU Mode?
Watch our step-by-step DFU restore guide on YouTube, or follow the steps below:
- Plug your iPhone in a computer.
- Open iTunes.
- Press and release the volume up button.
- Press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the side button until your iPhone's display goes black.
- When the screen turns black, press and hold the volume down button while continuing to hold the side button.
- Hold both buttons for five seconds.
- After five seconds, release the side button, but continue to hold the volume down button.
- Release the volume down button when your iPhone appears in iTunes.
- Your iPhone appears in iTunes, it's in DFU mode!
- If the Apple logo appeared on your iPhone's display, you probably held down the volume down button for a little too long.