When you hard reset your iPhone, it turns off abruptly, then turns back on almost immediately. Think of it like turning off a desktop computer or gaming console by pulling the plug straight out of the wall.
Why Should I Hard Reset While Plugged Into Computer?
Hard reseting an iPhone while it's plugged into a power source can sometimes fix problems that prevent iPhones from turn on properly.
How Do I Hard Reset While Plugged Into Computer?
- Using a Lightning cable (charging cable), plug your iPhone into a power source such as your computer or wall charger.
- Begin the hard reset by pressing and holding the power button and the volume down button until the screen of your iPhone goes blank and the Apple logo appears on the center of the screen (you may have to press and hold the buttons for up to 20 seconds!)
- When the Apple logo appears on the screen of your iPhone, let go of both buttons at the same time.
- When your iPhone turns back on, the hard reset is complete.
- Although a hard reset is a go-to move for Apple technicians, it's not always good for your iPhone. You should only do a hard reset when absolutely necessary. To learn more about hard reseting, read this article on hard reseting.
- In Apple jargon, the power button is also know as the Sleep / Wake button.
- Make sure you are pressing and holding the volume down button — holding down the volume up button won't hard reset your iPhone 7 or 7 Plus!