No Service On iPhone 8 Plus? Here's Why & The Real Fix!
Your iPhone 8 Plus says No Service and it's starting to get frustrating. With no service, you can't make calls, send texts, or connect to the internet without Wi-Fi. This article will explain why there's no service on your iPhone 8 Plus and show you how to fix this cellular problem!
How To Fix An iPhone 8 Plus That Says "No Service"9 Steps Total
Make Sure Cellular Data Is Turned On
In order to use cellular data, a switch in the Settings app of your iPhone needs to be turned on. If it was turned off accidentally, your iPhone won't use cellular data.
How Do I Make Sure Cellular Data Is Turned On?
- Go to the Settings app.
- Tap Cellular.
- Make sure the switch next to Cellular Data is turned on. You'll know it's on when the switch is green and positioned to the right.
- If the switch is already on, try turning it off and back on to give your iPhone a second chance to connect to its cellular network.
Update Carrier Settings
The UpPhone recommend that you update carrier settings immediately after they become available because outdated settings may lead to connectivity issues between your iPhone and your wireless carrier's network. Some potential issues include having poor service or your iPhone going straight to voicemail anytime you receive a call.
- Make sure that your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network, or that Cellular Data is turned on.
- Open the Settings app.
- Make Tap General.
- Tap About.
- After a few seconds, if a carrier settings update is available, you'll see a pop-up on the screen of your iPhone which says, "New settings are available. Would you like to update them now?"
- Tap Update.
Turn On Voice Roaming
If Voice Roaming is turned off, your iPhone may have trouble connecting to your carrier's cellular network.
How Do I Turn On Voice Roaming?
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Cellular.
- Tap Cellular Data Options.
- Tap Roaming.
- Turn on the switch next to Voice Roaming. You'll know it's on when the switch is green.
Update Your iPhone Software In iTunes
You can use iTunes to perform iOS updates on your iPhone. If you're unable to update your iPhone in the Settings app, sometimes using iTunes to update your iPhone is a simple workaround.
How Do I Update My iPhone Software In iTunes?
- Plug your iPhone into your computer using a Lightning cable (charging cable).
- Open iTunes.
- In the upper left hand corner of iTunes, click the iPhone icon.
- In the top box underneath iPhone, click Check For Update.
- If an update is available, click Update.
- Keep your iPhone plugged into your computer while the update downloads and installs.
Remove And Reinsert The SIM Card
Taking out the SIM card and putting it back in can give your iPhone a second chance to connect to your wireless carrier's network.
- Use a SIM card ejector tool or small paperclip to open the SIM card tray on the right side of your iPhone.
- Close the tray once you've opened it.
Reset Network Settings
Resetting the network settings can give your iPhone a “fresh start” and allow it to connect to Bluetooth devices or WiFi networks that may have been problematic.
How Do I Reset Network Settings?
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Scroll down to Reset. Reset is the final option in Settings -> General.
- Tap Reset Network Settings.
- Enter your passcode.
- When your iPhone restarts, the reset is complete.
Contact Your Wireless Carrier
Sometimes when your iPhone experiences issues related to your cellular network (no or poor service, calls going straight to voicemail), the problem is stemming from the cellular network, not the iPhone itself. Below are the support numbers of major wireless carriers to contact if you're experiencing problems.
- Verizon: 1-(800)-922-0204
- Sprint: 1-(888)-211-4727
- AT&T: 1-(800)-331-0500
- T-Mobile: 1-(877)-746-0909
- Virgin Mobile: 1-(888)-322-1122
Repair Your iPhone With Puls
Puls is a "we come to you" iPhone repair service that will meet you at your home, office, or Starbucks to repair your iPhone in as little as 30 minutes. Every Puls repair is backed by a lifetime warranty and their prices tend to be a lot less than Apple's. Puls repairs broken iPhone screens, batteries, speakers, cameras, charging ports, and more. The only drawback at this point is that Puls isn't available everywhere (they're mostly in major US cities).
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Puls?
- Visit Puls.com.
- Select iPhone.
- Select the model of your iPhone.
- Enter your ZIP Code.
- Select the color of your iPhone.
- Select the repair you need completed and fill out any additional information you want the technician to know.
- Schedule a repair time and date.
- Enter your address and personal information.
- Click the button that says "Submit Repair Request".
Repair Your iPhone With Apple
Apple repairs iPhones at the Genius Bar in Apple Stores and through their online mail-in repair service. Apple repairs are high-quality, but out-of-warranty repairs can be much more expensive than third-party solutions. If you're looking to save some money you're not covered by Apple's warranty, you may want to check out our other recommendations.
How Do I Repair My iPhone With Apple?
How To Repair Your iPhone With Apple's Mail-In Service
- Visit Apple's support website to begin the online mail-in repair process.
- Alternatively, call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) to set up a repair.
How To Repair Your iPhone At The Genius Bar Inside Your Local Apple Store
- Visit Apple's website to make a Genius Bar appointment before you go into the store. Apple Stores are extremely busy, and if you don't have an appointment, you may have to wait for hours or end up being turned away. (Editor's note: I'm a former Apple tech and we're not exaggerating — please, do yourself a favor and make an appointment first!)
- When you arrive, go to the Genius Bar to check in for your appointment.
- Genius Bar appointments always include free diagnosis. If you're under warranty, many repairs can be done on the spot, but it all depends upon which parts are in stock. If you're not under warranty, the Genius will give you a quote for the cost of a repair.
Serving Up Service, One iPhone At A Time!
Your iPhone 8 Plus has service once again and you can start making calls and sending texts. Make sure to share this article on social media so your friends and family known what to do when they have no service on an iPhone 8 Plus. Thanks for reading and leave any other iPhone-related comments or questions below!